Skip to main content

WP Pritam Singh on Trial Part 8 - Ex WP Admits Urging Raeesah Khan to Lie in Trail


 

On October 21, former Workers’ Party (WP) member Yudhishthra Nathan testified against WP leader Pritam Singh in a trial centered around allegations that Singh misled the Committee of Privileges (COP) regarding a lie told by former WP MP Raeesah Khan in parliament. Nathan, who left the party in 2022 after six years, admitted under cross-examination that he had considered encouraging Khan to maintain her false statement due to the party’s lack of a clear plan for her to come clean.

Khan had falsely claimed in parliament on August 3, 2021, that she accompanied a rape survivor to a police station where the police questioned the victim's attire and alcohol consumption. Although Singh and WP chair Sylvia Lim told her to tell the truth in a meeting on October 12, 2021, Khan only admitted the lie on November 1, 2021, and revealed that she herself was a survivor of sexual assault.

During cross-examination by Singh’s lawyer, Andre Jumabhoy, Nathan acknowledged he was initially in favor of having Khan lie further due to the party's failure to develop a proper plan for addressing the issue. Nathan said he vacillated between wanting Khan to maintain the lie and waiting for WP leaders to devise a solution.

Nathan also testified about a meeting on August 10, 2021, where he claimed Singh made an offensive remark regarding conservative religious men and their views on having an MP who had been raped. Singh’s lawyer accused Nathan of fabricating the comment, pointing out its absence in his previous account to the COP, but Nathan stood by his statement.

Singh faces charges for allegedly lying to the COP about the instructions given to Khan concerning her false statements in parliament.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foreign Nationals Arrested in Multi-Agency Raids at Migrant Worker Dormitories

  A series of targeted, multi-agency anti-drug operations led by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) resulted in the arrest of seven Bangladeshi men for suspected drug-related offenses. The operations, which took place from December 8 to 11, 2025, were conducted at various migrant worker dormitories across the island. The arrested men are aged between 20 and 40 years old. The enforcement actions were a joint effort demonstrating Singapore's sustained commitment to clamping down on illegal activities, including drug offenses and other crimes. The CNB was supported by officers from the Singapore Police Force (SPF), Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Singapore Customs, and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). Operations Breakdown The arrests were made across three distinct operations: Jurong West (December 8): In the evening of December 8, CNB officers arrested a 25-year-old Bangladeshi man at a dormitory in the vicinity of Jurong West for suspec...

Doctor Faces Jail Time For Negligent Aesthetic Treatment Leading To Patient Death

  A thirty seven year old medical practitioner named Chan Bingyi is facing a potential prison sentence of between eighteen and twenty four months following his conviction for a negligent act that resulted in the death of a patient. On April 21 2026 the prosecution presented its sentencing arguments before the court highlighting the severity of the lapse in medical judgment that occurred in 2019. The case involves the death of Lau Li Ting a thirty one year old property agent who passed away following an aesthetic treatment. The incident took place on March 8 2019 at the Revival Medical & Aesthetics Centre located in Bras Basah Road. Ms Lau had visited the clinic situated within the Esplanade Xchange shopping mall for aesthetic purposes specifically hoping to address fine lines on her forehead. During the visit Chan intravenously administered ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid or EDTA to the patient. Court documents and expert testimony emphasized that there was no medical necessity...

Chinese National Jailed After Repeated Illegal Entries and Bribery Scandal

  On July 15, 2025, Chen Guangyun, a 39-year-old Chinese national, was sentenced to three years’ jail and six strokes of the cane after being convicted of four counts of graft and two immigration-related offences. His offences spanned across years and involved multiple illegal entries into Singapore, the bribery of a police officer, and other criminal conduct. Chen first came to Singapore lawfully on October 20, 2014, but overstayed his visa. He was convicted on January 25, 2017, for overstaying and other offences, for which he received a six-month jail sentence and three strokes of the cane. He was deported in June 2017 and banned from re-entering the country. However, Chen defied the ban and returned illegally by boat. He was caught by Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers and was charged again on June 8, 2019, for immigration offences. This marked the beginning of a prolonged cycle of illegal conduct involving bribery and multiple offences. In or around 2019, Chen...