Skip to main content

99-to-1 Arrangement Sparks Major Lawsuits Against PropNex

 




Real estate agency PropNex Realty is facing lawsuits from property buyers who were penalised by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (Iras) for using the "99-to-1" property arrangement aimed at avoiding Additional Buyer’s Stamp Duty (ABSD). The lawsuits, which also name the involved property agents and law firms, stem from transactions that Iras later deemed as illegal tax avoidance.

In one case, Kevin Rahim, 28, and Jessica Tjitra, 32, sued PropNex, property agent Amos Koh, and CK Tan Law Corporation after being required to pay nearly $850,000 in ABSD and penalties. In their case, filed in the High Court in February 2025, the couple claimed that Amos Koh had assured them the 99-to-1 method was a lawful way to reduce stamp duty obligations.

Jessica Tjitra, who is from Indonesia and became a Singapore permanent resident in 2022, purchased a unit at Riviere condominium for $3.3 million under her sole name. As a new PR, her ABSD rate was 5 percent. Subsequently, she sold a 1 percent share of the unit to Kevin Rahim, who paid 30 percent ABSD on the small stake as a foreigner. However, in August 2024, Iras ruled that the arrangement was a case of illegal stamp duty avoidance and imposed a 30 percent ABSD on the entire purchase price, plus a 5 percent surcharge.

Amos Koh, in his defence, admitted that he had explained the 99-to-1 method to the couple, stating that he had learnt about it from CK Tan Law’s presentations and believed it was legitimate. PropNex argued that Koh was an independent contractor and not an employee, and the company should not be held responsible for his actions. The agency also said that Koh’s commissions were paid solely by the Riviere developer and not by the buyers. CK Tan Law Corporation countered that the possibility of Iras later altering the transaction terms did not necessarily render the arrangement illegal at the time.

Separately, in another lawsuit filed in January 2025, Melvin Li, 43, sued PropNex, property agent Ian Sng, and City Law over a $1.2 million penalty from Iras. Li had bought 1 percent stakes in two condominium units, one each from his father and mother at Piccadilly Grand and Pullman Residences. The move was intended to help his parents, who were unable to qualify for bank loans, finance the property purchases by leveraging Li’s name for the mortgage.

Li alleged that Ian Sng had assured him via WhatsApp that the transactions were legal and commonly practised. Sng also reportedly said that the arrangement, referred to as the "100-sell-1" method, was introduced by PropNex colleagues and validated by legal firms. Sng further recommended City Law to handle the paperwork.

However, after seeking confirmation from Iras, Li discovered that his transactions violated stamp duty laws. He was then held liable for full ABSD rates on both properties – 17 percent on one and 25 percent on the other – in addition to surcharges.

In their joint defence, PropNex and Sng stated that Sng acted as a marketing agent for the developers and that he merely relayed information he had gathered from legal and financial training. Sng denied knowingly making any false representations. City Law, in its defence, said that when it came into the picture, the purchases under the 99-to-1 structure had already been decided.

The lawsuit involving Rahim and Tjitra is set for an administrative hearing on April 30, 2025, while Li’s case is expected to proceed to mediation.

These lawsuits come amid heightened scrutiny from tax authorities, after Iras revealed in May 2024 that it was clawing back approximately $60 million in ABSD and penalties from 166 cases where the 99-to-1 arrangement and similar structures were used to avoid taxes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Punggol Northshore BTO Plagued by Water Seepage and Electrical Hazards

  ***Update: HDB, Maincon and Consultant has came down to the unit to check. Will update on status once we have more information. A Punggol Northshore BTO homeowner, who moved into his newly renovated flat in July 2024, has voiced frustration over severe water leakage issues that have left his unit unsafe and unlivable. Water has been observed seeping from an electrical powerpoint, with puddles forming on the floor and walls showing bubbling and signs of damage from moisture. The source of the leak appears to be an external wall adjacent to the master bedroom, according to assessments by the main contractor. However, the leakage has already caused significant damage to the flat's walls and paintwork, leaving the homeowner distressed. Adding to the frustration, the main contractor advised the homeowner to avoid using the affected power switches in the living room and bedroom due to the risk of a short circuit. Despite the warning, the homeowner has no choice but to turn on the light...

The Gateway to Singapore’s Digital Future, Punggol Coast MRT Station Opens Today!

  The Punggol Coast MRT station, the 17th station on the North East Line (NEL), officially opened on December 10, 2024. Located in the heart of the Punggol Digital District (PDD), it extends the NEL’s total length to 22 km and enhances accessibility for over 200,000 households within a 10-minute walk of an NEL station. Senior Minister Teo Chee Hean, speaking at the launch, emphasized the station's role in transforming Punggol Town into a vibrant, connected, and sustainable hub. Travel time for Punggol North residents to Outram Park is now reduced to 45 minutes, down from 60 minutes. Transport Minister Chee Hong Tat highlighted the foresight in planning Singapore’s transport infrastructure, such as provisions made two decades ago for the Cross Island Line interchange at Punggol MRT station. This long-term approach underscores Singapore’s commitment to future generations. The station integrates seamlessly with PDD, a 50-hectare smart and sustainable district focusing on digital indus...

Crackdown on Illegal Ride-Hailing with 4 Drivers Caught in LTA Operation

  In a recent operation conducted by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) of Singapore, four drivers were caught and had their vehicles impounded for providing illegal ride-hailing services. These unauthorized services operated both within Singapore and across the border to Malaysia, posing significant risks to passengers. The LTA has issued a stern warning to the public, advising against using such illegal services due to the lack of proper licensing and insurance, which can leave passengers vulnerable in the event of accidents. The operation underscores LTA’s commitment to ensuring the safety and regulation of ride-hailing services in Singapore. Drivers caught offering illegal ride-hailing services without a valid Public Service Vehicle (PSV) Licence face severe penalties, including fines of up to $3,000, imprisonment for up to six months, or both. These measures are in place to deter unlicensed operators and protect passengers from potential harm. Illegal ride-hailing services oft...