Skip to main content

Facing US Tariffs, PAP Vows Stronger Support for Singaporeans

 




Deputy Prime Minister Gan Kim Yong has described the economic challenges posed by recent United States tariff moves as a "tidal wave of change," warning Singaporeans not to underestimate the situation. Speaking at a People's Action Party rally at Yusof Ishak Secondary School on April 26, 2025, Mr Gan questioned critics who claimed the government’s response was excessive.

Mr Gan, who also serves as Minister for Trade and Industry, explained that the ongoing global uncertainties could have lasting implications for Singapore’s role as a trading hub. He addressed concerns that the ruling party was creating unnecessary fear, countering that this situation is fundamentally different from past crises.

He pointed out that Singaporeans are already feeling the impact, with multinational companies reassessing their investments and supply chains being reconfigured. This has led to a slowdown in business investments and hiring activities. While acknowledging the anxiety over job security, Mr Gan reassured Singaporeans that there is comprehensive government support in place, such as the SkillsFuture Jobseeker Support scheme and career conversion programmes.

Mr Gan emphasised that while it may not be possible to save every job, the government remains committed to protecting every worker. He said that the People’s Action Party, led by Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, is ready to do more if necessary to help Singaporeans weather the storm.

Despite the ongoing general election campaign, Mr Gan stated that governing responsibilities continue. As chair of the Singapore Economic Resilience Taskforce, he confirmed that trade discussions with American counterparts are ongoing, made possible by the trust established through long-standing bilateral ties. Though he refrained from sharing details due to confidentiality, he noted that there are efforts to ensure Singapore’s critical exports reach the US.

Mr Gan, an incumbent MP from Chua Chu Kang GRC, was moved to lead the PAP team in Punggol in a last-minute decision announced on Nomination Day, April 23. The PAP team for Punggol includes Ms Yeo Wan Ling, Ms Sun Xueling, and Dr Janil Puthucheary. They face a Workers' Party team comprising senior counsel Harpreet Singh, advertising technology director Alexis Dang, legal counsel Alia Mattar, and corporate affairs manager Jackson Au.

At the rally, Mr Gan described Punggol as a "wow town," noting its rapid transformation into a model heartland community with strong family ties and innovative urban planning. Over the past three days, he said he had met many residents and listened to their aspirations, observing that while much progress has been made, there remains room for further development.

Responding to residents' requests for more covered linkways, Mr Gan said he would discuss funding possibilities with Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, who is also the Finance Minister.

Dr Janil, who previously served as an MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol, highlighted the team's focus on delivering realistic, meaningful improvements rather than making grand promises. Ms Sun, who has overseen Punggol West since 2015, shared how she initiated a container library in the early days to provide children with access to books and has since championed educational infrastructure, with plans for a new primary school, secondary school, and junior college in Punggol.

Ms Yeo, seeking her second term, stressed her advocacy for platform workers in Parliament, championing issues like fair compensation, injury protection, and CPF contributions, directly linking her policy work to real-life concerns faced by residents.

Mr Gan concluded by assuring residents that with the team's combined experience and commitment, they are ready to work with the community to ensure Punggol continues to thrive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foreign Nationals Arrested in Multi-Agency Raids at Migrant Worker Dormitories

  A series of targeted, multi-agency anti-drug operations led by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) resulted in the arrest of seven Bangladeshi men for suspected drug-related offenses. The operations, which took place from December 8 to 11, 2025, were conducted at various migrant worker dormitories across the island. The arrested men are aged between 20 and 40 years old. The enforcement actions were a joint effort demonstrating Singapore's sustained commitment to clamping down on illegal activities, including drug offenses and other crimes. The CNB was supported by officers from the Singapore Police Force (SPF), Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Singapore Customs, and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). Operations Breakdown The arrests were made across three distinct operations: Jurong West (December 8): In the evening of December 8, CNB officers arrested a 25-year-old Bangladeshi man at a dormitory in the vicinity of Jurong West for suspec...

Doctor Faces Jail Time For Negligent Aesthetic Treatment Leading To Patient Death

  A thirty seven year old medical practitioner named Chan Bingyi is facing a potential prison sentence of between eighteen and twenty four months following his conviction for a negligent act that resulted in the death of a patient. On April 21 2026 the prosecution presented its sentencing arguments before the court highlighting the severity of the lapse in medical judgment that occurred in 2019. The case involves the death of Lau Li Ting a thirty one year old property agent who passed away following an aesthetic treatment. The incident took place on March 8 2019 at the Revival Medical & Aesthetics Centre located in Bras Basah Road. Ms Lau had visited the clinic situated within the Esplanade Xchange shopping mall for aesthetic purposes specifically hoping to address fine lines on her forehead. During the visit Chan intravenously administered ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid or EDTA to the patient. Court documents and expert testimony emphasized that there was no medical necessity...

Chinese National Jailed After Repeated Illegal Entries and Bribery Scandal

  On July 15, 2025, Chen Guangyun, a 39-year-old Chinese national, was sentenced to three years’ jail and six strokes of the cane after being convicted of four counts of graft and two immigration-related offences. His offences spanned across years and involved multiple illegal entries into Singapore, the bribery of a police officer, and other criminal conduct. Chen first came to Singapore lawfully on October 20, 2014, but overstayed his visa. He was convicted on January 25, 2017, for overstaying and other offences, for which he received a six-month jail sentence and three strokes of the cane. He was deported in June 2017 and banned from re-entering the country. However, Chen defied the ban and returned illegally by boat. He was caught by Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers and was charged again on June 8, 2019, for immigration offences. This marked the beginning of a prolonged cycle of illegal conduct involving bribery and multiple offences. In or around 2019, Chen...