Skip to main content

PM Lawrence Wong’s Rally Speech Highlights

 




On April 24, 2025, Prime Minister Lawrence Wong delivered his first rally speech as head of government and secretary-general of the People’s Action Party (PAP) at Woodlands Stadium in Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC. The rally marked the second day of the campaign period for Singapore’s General Election.

In his speech, PM Wong urged all political parties, especially the opposition, not to exploit sensitive issues or use domestic politics to divide Singaporeans. Emphasising the importance of unity, he said that regardless of differing opinions, “we are all Singaporeans first and foremost.”

PM Wong highlighted how external global issues—such as the war in Europe and the conflict in Gaza—can easily inflame emotions and influence local sentiments, especially during an election period. While such matters can usually be discussed constructively, he cautioned that in the heat of a campaign, they might be weaponised to stir division. He warned that this could weaken the country from within, stressing that all parties must uphold multiracial harmony and avoid inflaming racial or religious sensitivities.

He reiterated that Singapore’s national interests, sovereignty, and security must remain above politics, and political debate should stop “at the water’s edge.” This principle, he explained, ensures the country remains resilient against foreign influence and internal discord.

Senior Minister of State for Defence and Manpower Zaqy Mohamad, who is also contesting in Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC, echoed similar sentiments earlier in the rally. He pointed to how politics has divided societies across the world over issues such as LGBT rights, abortion, and the Israel-Palestine conflict. Mr Zaqy emphasised that while everyone has personal beliefs and even grievances, these should not be used to sow discord. Politicians must prioritise national unity over personal or partisan gain.

PM Wong also addressed voter expectations and urged Singaporeans to apply equal standards when evaluating all political candidates, whether from the PAP or the opposition. “Yes, look at the PAP candidates carefully. But don’t give the opposition a free pass,” he said. He asked voters to assess all candidates based on integrity, competence, and their readiness to serve.

He acknowledged the growing presence of the opposition, pointing out that the Workers’ Party (WP) is retaining its current Members of Parliament in their wards while deploying new candidates in other areas to expand its influence. Red Dot United is fielding 15 candidates, the second-largest slate among opposition parties after the WP’s 26. Other parties such as the Progress Singapore Party, Singapore Democratic Party, and National Solidarity Party are also contesting at least 10 seats each.

PM Wong said that the PAP does not take victory for granted, adding that he expects this election to be a tough fight.

Reflecting on PAP’s internal renewal, PM Wong thanked veteran MPs who are stepping down, including Senior Minister Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat, and Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen. He expressed that, while he personally wished for them to continue, he had to think about Singapore’s long-term future and leadership renewal.

He spoke about the new faces being fielded by the PAP, noting that many are individuals he worked closely with during the Covid-19 crisis. This includes former Chief of Army David Neo, who coordinated pandemic operations across government agencies, and Dinesh Vasu Dash, former chief executive of the Agency for Integrated Care.

PM Wong concluded his speech by calling on Singaporeans to choose candidates of character and dedication, who can be trusted to serve the people, their constituencies, and the nation during increasingly uncertain global times. He reminded voters that after the election, the focus must not be on party rivalry but on Singapore’s collective ability to navigate a challenging world together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foreign Nationals Arrested in Multi-Agency Raids at Migrant Worker Dormitories

  A series of targeted, multi-agency anti-drug operations led by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) resulted in the arrest of seven Bangladeshi men for suspected drug-related offenses. The operations, which took place from December 8 to 11, 2025, were conducted at various migrant worker dormitories across the island. The arrested men are aged between 20 and 40 years old. The enforcement actions were a joint effort demonstrating Singapore's sustained commitment to clamping down on illegal activities, including drug offenses and other crimes. The CNB was supported by officers from the Singapore Police Force (SPF), Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Singapore Customs, and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). Operations Breakdown The arrests were made across three distinct operations: Jurong West (December 8): In the evening of December 8, CNB officers arrested a 25-year-old Bangladeshi man at a dormitory in the vicinity of Jurong West for suspec...

Doctor Faces Jail Time For Negligent Aesthetic Treatment Leading To Patient Death

  A thirty seven year old medical practitioner named Chan Bingyi is facing a potential prison sentence of between eighteen and twenty four months following his conviction for a negligent act that resulted in the death of a patient. On April 21 2026 the prosecution presented its sentencing arguments before the court highlighting the severity of the lapse in medical judgment that occurred in 2019. The case involves the death of Lau Li Ting a thirty one year old property agent who passed away following an aesthetic treatment. The incident took place on March 8 2019 at the Revival Medical & Aesthetics Centre located in Bras Basah Road. Ms Lau had visited the clinic situated within the Esplanade Xchange shopping mall for aesthetic purposes specifically hoping to address fine lines on her forehead. During the visit Chan intravenously administered ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid or EDTA to the patient. Court documents and expert testimony emphasized that there was no medical necessity...

Chinese National Jailed After Repeated Illegal Entries and Bribery Scandal

  On July 15, 2025, Chen Guangyun, a 39-year-old Chinese national, was sentenced to three years’ jail and six strokes of the cane after being convicted of four counts of graft and two immigration-related offences. His offences spanned across years and involved multiple illegal entries into Singapore, the bribery of a police officer, and other criminal conduct. Chen first came to Singapore lawfully on October 20, 2014, but overstayed his visa. He was convicted on January 25, 2017, for overstaying and other offences, for which he received a six-month jail sentence and three strokes of the cane. He was deported in June 2017 and banned from re-entering the country. However, Chen defied the ban and returned illegally by boat. He was caught by Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers and was charged again on June 8, 2019, for immigration offences. This marked the beginning of a prolonged cycle of illegal conduct involving bribery and multiple offences. In or around 2019, Chen...